Friday 17 May 2013

Refashion Friday Inspiration: Jersey Peter Pan Sweatshirt Remake


Today's Refashion Friday inspiration is one for the Southern Hemisphere massive as they enter Autumn/Winter. A cosy little sweatshirt remake with a cute contrast collar and matching cuffs. I started out by hacking up an unwanted mens white sweatshirt and recutting the front and back pieces to a smaller size still incorporating the bottom waist ribbing. 


Having also recut the neckline to a wider, more flattering scoop shape, I drafted a Peter Pan collar which I cut from a contrast printed jersey. Because the neckline is wide enough to get this top easily over the head without stretching it, I didn't need to use the jersey's stretchy properties on the collar so I fused interfacing onto the pieces so they'd retain a more structured shape.  


I chose to make the sleeves 3/4 length, and finished them with a cuff band made from the same contrast printed jersey. This was where the stretchy quality of the jersey was useful because the cuffs need to stretch to be a snug fit round the arms. So whether you are currently heading towards the colder part of the year, or simply fancy a new trans-season garment where-ever you live, why not hunt out an old sweatshirt in your local charity shop/thift store/op-shop (or even the closest male's wardrobe!) and get chopping and remaking?!

8 comments:

Miriam said...

nice work. I'm always worried about gapey necklines but I def have to do something to the neckline because a high sweatshirt neck does me NO favours! :o)

Kirsty said...

Super cute!

Elena said...

This is so cute! I'll definitely be giving it a go :)

Tabet said...

Hey,
beautiful post. I love the sweater!
Just amazing.
Love
Tabea

http://wolkedrei.blogspot.de/

vintagerockchick said...

That's lovely, and perfect for us in the Northern hemisphere who seem to be re-entering winter after our brief two day summer. And just as I found a great linen shirt in a charity shop for the sleeveless blouse with sailor collar refashion. I'm sure it will still look good over L/S thermals.

Anonymous said...

So cute! What a great idea :)

Becca said...

This is really cute! I love it! Such a great idea.

Anonymous said...

A peter pan collar is appropriate for any season. Awesome job on the refashion. That's very impressive that you cut down the front and back panels of a men's sweatshirt. You can't even tell!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...